Encapsulation: Your Solution to Crawlspace Humidity
Is there a crawlspace under your home? Whether it's full of random storage items or left empty during the year, it's also part of your home that plays an important role in supporting the structure of your home. Sadly, crawlspace humidity is a common problem that exposes the foundation to mold and rot unless you take preventative measures.
What Benefits To Expect
Encapsulation is an effective method of protecting the open area below your home. Crawlspace humidity creates an inviting environment for mold but sealing the space or installing a vapor barrier of polyethylene keeps moisture out. While many Pismo Beach, homeowners still haven't heard of this protective step, there are several benefits:
- This airtight barrier is also resistant to insect infestations and other pest-related problems.
- Encapsulation may reduce the amount of energy by almost 20 percent.
- The sealed space improves your ability to maintain temperatures in your home, effectively reducing your utility bills.
- Your property value may increase.
- Combine this step with a dehumidifier and the right amount of ventilation to avoid expensive repairs related to moisture and mildew.
With the heavy-duty barrier in place, you can feel confident that your home is protected against expensive water damage.
How To Tell You Need Services
How do you know if your Pismo Beach, home needs this type of protection? There are several signs that the empty space below your home is causing trouble:
- Musty smells from the empty space
- Floors that feel squishy underfoot
- Constant pest problems you can't control
- High utility costs in spite of home improvements
- Visible evidence of moisture around windows or on ductwork
As humidity builds up below your home, the effects are easily recognized. It's best to take action before you need to call in water damage repair experts.
When To Get Started
Crawlspace humidity is a significant cause of home damage. Adding a polyethylene barrier prevents damage to the foundation and the rest of the home. If you haven't considered this solution, now is the time to give it some thought.