A Water Damage Restoration Checklist For Storms
Unfortunately, life here isn’t without its potential problems, among them water damage from storms. With a sudden storm, water can build up quickly and cause plenty of damage to your home or business.
The professionals at SERVPRO of Pismo Beach/ Arroyo Grande are prepared to handle any water related emergency from any kind of storm with operators standing by to take your call 24/7.
Once we’re on hand, we’ll proceed through our thorough water damage restoration process, following a specific Water Damage checklist for storms to make sure all the bases are covered:
- Identify the Source and Type of Water – First and foremost, we’ll check for the source of moisture and make sure it’s stopped. We’ll also determine the type of water involved, either clean, gray or black, as the level of contamination can dictate the specific restoration process that’s required.
- Survey the Extent of Damage and Inspect Premises – Before beginning the restoration we’ll perform a thorough inspection to determine the extent of the damage and identify any safety issues.
- Identify Signs of Mold Growth – Mold can be a side effect of water damage. We’ll check for odors, musty smells and any other signs of mold growth and perform complete mold remediation.
- Move and Block Furniture – We’ll move any furniture out of the way and block items to prevent rust or furniture stains on wet carpet.
- Remove Standing Water – We’ll begin the restoration by using submersible pumps and industrial strength wet/dry vacs to remove standing water.
- Check Carpet Pads, Carpeting, Floors and Walls - We carefully inspect all carpet pads, carpeting, flooring and walls to see if any materials should be removed.
- Apply Deodorizer or Disinfectant Treatments – Our process includes the use of deodorizers and EPA-registered disinfectants as antimicrobial treatments.
- Dispose of Damaged Materials – If anything is deemed unsalvageable by you or your adjuster, we will see that it is safely removed and disposed.
- Measure Temperature/Humidity Levels – Throughout the process we will monitor temperature and humidity levels to enable proper drying.
- Thoroughly Dry – Finally, we employ industrial strength air movers and dehumidifiers to remove all moisture from surfaces and the air.
When water damage occurs from a storm or otherwise, it can be devastating if you don’t act fast. That’s why your first call should be to SERVPRO of Pismo Beach/ Arroyo Grande. We’re guaranteed to respond faster to any disaster and we won’t finish the job until we know you’re satisfied.
We’re part of the local community ourselves and we’re proud to serve our neighbors with the professional quality work that they expect because that’s what we’d want for our own property.
So don’t despair, call SERVPRO of Pismo Beach Arroyo Grande and we’ll help you put the pieces together again.
How the Pros Handle Fire Restoration
It's hard to imagine any disaster in your building being more devastating than a fire. This incident can destroy your office and take your belongings with it. While your first concern should be for your safety and the well-being of everyone in the facility, you should then turn your attention to fire restoration. Professional crews can help rebuild your building and salvage your possessions.
Your Initial Responsibilities
If a fire starts in your office, you should immediately call 911 and evacuate the premises. Do not take the time to gather any belongings. Make sure everyone gets out safely and then do the following:
- Call a professional fire restoration company.
- Contact your insurance company and file a claim.
- Stay out of the area until cleanup professionals tell you it's safe to return.
While the flames can destroy any materials in their path, smoke can have detrimental effects as well. The first part of the fire rebuild is to remove the soot and ash from the building. This includes cleaning all surfaces and belongings such as electronics, furniture, documents, and clothing. Crews in Pismo Beach/ Arroyo Grande will use dry-cleaning methods to save damaged items.
When the cleanup ream can't salvage items in your office, technicians must tear them out and remove them from the structure. This will enable rebuilding services to start the restoration process.
Firefighters use a lot of water to put out the blaze. The cleanup company must extract all water from the facility and thoroughly dry the area. The team will also disinfect any parts of the building where there was water. This will keep mold from appearing and spreading.
Tarping, Board-up and Rebuilding
Next, the technicians will board up windows and doors to protect the home from looting and further damage. Crews will place tarps over roof gaps and damage. This will keep out the elements. Lastly, the company will start rebuilding the building so you can return.
Fire restoration can be a lengthy process. Trust the professionals to handle these duties.
Why SERVPRO is the Trusted Choice for Fire Damage Restoration
Full-Service Fire Damage Mitigation and Cleanup in PISMO BEACH/ ARROYO GRANDE Are Why SERVPRO Must Be Your Call
The aftermath of a fire is a cleaning and deodorizing challenge like none other in Pismo Beach/ Arroyo Grande. Fortunately, most homeowners never are forced to rise to the test, but if you and your family find yourselves facing the smoke, soot, odor, and debris, professional help is available. Fire results in incredibly toxic, corrosive, and it is challenging to remove soiling and highly pungent odors, why we invest in comprehensive training in the restoration industry best practices for our technicians.
Containment to Preserve Air Quality
One strategy we use to attack the many ways fire damage affects your Pismo Beach/ Arroyo Grande home is to contain the affected area. Preventing drift of the smoke and soot is crucial. Otherwise, every surface and space in your home can attract soot and smells. Using 6 mil polyethylene barriers and sealing the perimeter of the fire damage abatement workspace not only keeps residues in check, but it is also a practical step to control odors. Forcing contaminants through HEPA filters and venting to the outdoors is also useful and why we use negative pressure air scrubbers.
Matching Cleaners and Techniques to Particular Soils
Three principle types of soot present in household fires -- dry and ashy, thick and wet, and protein-based. Each has preferred methods for removal, based on research and success in the field. If the evaluation of the residues in your home is incomplete or erroneous, efforts taken to clean soot away can instead cause smearing or staining. This concern is why SERVPRO ensures our assessors are up to date on their Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC) training.
Employing Innovative Technology to Fire Damage-Based Odor
If thorough cleaning of the air and surfaces does not result in the elimination of smoky odors, we consider other options. The tiny particles of soot that carry the smells can hide in crevices and even in HVAC systems. Using masking agents is an option, but is not acceptable as a long term option. This struggle is why SERVPRO explores other options like thermal fogging, ozone machines, or hydroxyl generators for odor removal. Alterations in the chemical composition of the odor-bearing soot neutralize the smell.
World-class training and investment in advanced equipment are why SERVPRO of Pismo Beach/Arroyo Grande responds to fire damage with assurance and delivers fast and successful results. Call round the clock at 805-473-0772 for a rapid assessment and restoration plan based on best practices.
Extent of Water Damage
When a homeowner deals with a water loss, its often a surprise to the customer the extent of damage that is caused. SERVPRO of Pismo Beach/ Arroyo Grande will come to the home, evaluate the damage, and begin the dry out process and repairs. Our crews often must remove dry wall due to damaged installation, we might have to remove flooring, furniture, essentially anything that is affect by the water.
It’s important to have SERVPRO to come out to evaluate the home to find how much the water spread, and what needs to be done to properly get your home back to normal! Our production leaders have top of the line equipment, to test areas that are wet, and they can see what has been affected. Our SERVPRO crews are educated and trained to know how to handle each home depending on the job.
Commercial Water Damage
COMMERCIAL Water Damage: Regardless of the cause, when catastrophe strikes a commercial property, the damages can be crippling to a business and even bring operations to a complete halt. Every hour spent cleaning up is an hour of lost productivity and revenue. SERVPRO has highly trained technicians that are here 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year to mitigate the damages properly and efficiently.
Ask about SERVPRO's Emergency Ready Plan (ERP), a useful tool to prepare a business for the "worst-case scenario". The ERP is a data collection source, storing all your important and vital information such as where to find shut off valves for both water and gas, where electrical panels are located and who to contact in the event of an emergency. This information is compiled into one neat folder and is ready for anyone in your business to use in one place at your fingertips.
Whatever may be the cause, when catastrophe strikes a Pismo Beach/ Arroyo Grande commercial business, the damages can be crippling and put the day-to-day operations to a halt. Every hour spent cleaning is an hour loss of productivity and revenue. Let SERVPRO of Pismo Beach/ Arroyo Grande help you! We have highly trained professional technicians here 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days of the year available to mitigate the damages properly and efficiently. Our crews our certified and know the best techniques for restoration!
SERVPRO also offers the Emergency Ready Profile (ERP) a useful tool used to prepare a business for the "worst case scenario." The ERP data is a collection source of all the most important phone numbers, and information you would need in the case of an emergency.
A house fire can be one of the worst experiences someone could go through. After the flames are put out is when SERVPRO of Pismo Beach/ Arroyo Grande can step in and help you! One major causes of damage is smoke and soot. Smoke and soot are very invasive and can penetrate various cavities within your home, causing hidden damage and odor. Our smoke damage expertise and experience allow us to inspect and accurately assess the extent of the damage to develop a comprehensive plan of action.
Smoke and soot facts:
- Hot smoke migrates to cooler areas and upper levels of a structure.
- Smoke flows around plumbing systems, seeping through the holes used by pipes to go from floor to floor.
- The type of smoke may greatly affect the restoration process.
Emergency Ready Profile
Commercial buildings and local schools can often face the risk of floods, and fires. One of our goals at SERVPRO is to prepare our local communities, in the case of a disaster! To do this we offer Emergency Ready Profiles (ERP's) for local schools, and commercial properties.
For an ERP, a representative from SERVPRO will come out to your business, and tag the gas shut off, water shut off, electrical and alarm systems. We note directions to each location, so if there ever is a problem anyone in the building will be able to local these shut off locations! Once we physically do the ERP, we load the information into an app, which can be edited and accessed by the staff.
This is a free service offered by SERVPRO, for more information call us today!
Types of Smoke
Many people don't know this but there are different types of smoke.
There are two different types of smoke–wet and dry. As a result, there are different types of soot residue after a fire. Before restoration begins, SERVPRO of Pismo Beach/ Arroyo Grande will test the soot to determine which type of smoke damage occurred. The cleaning procedures will then be based on the information identified during pretesting. Here is some additional information:
Wet Smoke – Plastic and Rubber
- Low heat, smoldering, pungent odor, sticky, smeary. Smoke webs are more difficult to clean.
Dry Smoke – Paper and Wood
- Fast burning, high temperatures, heat rises therefore smoke rises.
Protein Fire Residue – Produced by evaporation of material rather than from a fire
- Virtually invisible, discolors paints and varnishes, extreme pungent odor.
Water Damage? What Now?!
When water damage occurs, do you know what to do and what not to do?
Water damage can happen at any point for anyone, home or business, resulting in damaged property. These do's are only for clean water and do not’s pertain to sewage water. Sewage water is treated differently since it causes different damage and requires a different cleanup process. With the right tools and pieces of equipment, our professionals can safely dry out your home or business and the contents within it. Here are some things to always keep in mind.
- To minimize the damage, make sure to shut off the source of water and turn off the electricity. It is essential to remove as much excess water as possible by mopping and soaking up with towels. This is especially important for wood furniture.
- To ensure that more damage isn't sustained by the furniture make sure to try and move it, if safe to do so.
- Make sure to NOT enter a room with standing water since there could be a risk of electrical shock
- Make sure to disconnect all power first.
- It is recommended to NOT leave rugs and furniture upholstery wet against one another because the fabrics have the potential to bleed between each other.
- It is important to note that you should not be utilizing your household vacuum to try and suck up any water.
If these tips are followed, then damage can be minimized and you will be better prepared for help to arrive. Remember to stay safe and get excess water cleaned up professionally to minimize the chance of mold growth. Our Team at SERVPRO of Pismo Beach/ Arroyo Grande is ready to assist at a moment's notice with any of your water mitigation emergencies. Give our team a call at 805-473-0772.