Finding and eliminating household odors, tips from the Arroyo Grande water damage specialists
There are many causes of household odors. Even the most diligent housekeeper is occasionally faced with a persistent odor. Most common odors such as cooking smells, that dusty odor from a house or room being closed up too long, or the leftover food in the refrigerator that turned into a science experiment can be eliminated with good cleaning and ventilation. When odors are difficult to eliminate, it’s time to call the experts from SERVPRO® of Pismo Beach / Arroyo Grande.
The most common household odors include:
- A trash can that needs to be cleaned.
- Laundry odors.
- A garbage disposal that needs to be freshened up.
- Pet odors.
- Cooking and food odors.
- Spills on carpet or upholstery that have sat too long.
- Ash and soot smell from the fireplace.
- Smoking odors.
- Home and individual rooms are not ventilated enough.
When removing the source of the odor, cleaning and opening the windows for ventilation don’t get rid of the smell in a day or two, there is probably something else causing the odor. Certain kinds of smells are difficult, if not impossible to remove with regular household cleaners. Those include:
- Pet urine.
- A skunk got under the house.
- Mold and mildew from water damage.
- Odors released from organic materials due to water damage.
- Odors from a kitchen or other fire.
- Sewage smells.
- Smells associated with illness or a trauma scene.
These are situations that require deep cleaning with specialized equipment and procedures, and the Arroyo Grande water damage restoration team from SERVPRO has the training and experience to clean the affected areas and permanently remove the associated odors.
Smoke, urine, skunk spray, water damage and mold, odors from fires, water damage, sewage overflows and trauma scenes permeate organic materials that are used to construct and furnish any building. The chemical makeup of soot and ash, skunk spray, cigarette smoke and bodily fluids cling to fibers in carpets, curtains, upholstery and sticks on walls and woodwork. Advanced industrial-strength equipment and cleaning solutions are needed to permanently remove these odors. Further cleaning up a sewage spill or a trauma scene requires specialized biohazard handling because these areas are also contaminated with pathogens that can be harmful.
The first step to removing odors is to remove the source of the odor and remove all water and moisture when water is present, followed by thoroughly drying the area. Water damage is a common factor at the root of many odors and making sure the area is completely dry before proceeding with the next steps is critical.
The Arroyo Grande water damage team uses industrial-level pumps, drying and dehumidifying equipment to make sure the area is dry before starting the cleaning, deodorizing and restoration stages.
- Personal property such as furniture, clothing and carpets are repaired, cleaned and deodorized with professional-grade cleaning and sanitizing agents. Damaged property that can’t be repaired is removed and properly disposed of with guidance from the owner and the insurance adjuster.
- The final step, restoration, is the process of restoring the home or business to its pre-damaged condition. Restoration may involve minor repairs, such as replacing drywall and installing new carpet, or may entail major repairs, such as the reconstruction of various areas or rooms in a home or business.
From a single source of an odor such as a skunk under the house, pet odors, or cigarette smoke to a catastrophic event that leaves pathogens or water damage behind, the locally-owned and operated SERVPRO of Pismo Beach / Arroyo Grande is the company to call.
Team members receive regular training and continued education. Technicians are trained and certified in Water Damage Restoration, Applied Structural Drying, Fire and Smoke Restoration and Commercial Drying, and more. The company is dedicated to restoring your home or business quickly so your life can return to normal as soon as possible.